Click on any of the questions below to see the answer.
Will vibration loosen the rivet joint and shear the rivet?
- When the rivet is tightened, the two dimples pull inside each other, effectively locking the plates together. As a result, there is very little shear force placed on the rivet.
Why should I build with steel?
- Residential Steel Framing members are cost effective, light weight, easy to handle, and manufactured under strict quality control guidelines. Steel framing is also termite proof and does not support combustion.
How do I attach lining and cladding to the frame?
- Linings and cladding are screwed into the frame using standard 'tec' screws.
Does it cost more to build with steel framing compared to timber?
- No. It is actually less expensive than timber. The price of traditional timber framing has been erratic and growing at a rate much faster than inflation; steel prices have only experienced small annual adjustments. Plus, it's a lot faster to erect, saving on manpower.
Will I be able to renovate my steel frame home?
- Yes. Since steel framing allows for larger spans, the house can be designed without interior load-bearing partitions, making it easier for homeowners to complete alterations without affecting the structure.
How do I fix the Steel-Frame to an existing timber frame when doing a renovation?
- A standard nail will go through the frame into the timber, a nail gun is even better. A standard sharp wood screw will also screw through the steel frame, into the timber without drilling. To go through timber into the steel, a long tec screw will do the job.
Is steel framing dangerous if lightening strikes?
- No. The steel frame offers better protection than any other construction system. Scientists recommend seeking shelter in steel frame structures during lightning storms because the steel frame will conduct any strike directly to earth, reducing the likelihood of explosions, secondary fires, or personal injury.
How do I hang pictures on walls in steel frame houses?
- As with a timber-framed house, and depending on the weight of the picture, you can hang it from the drywall with toggle bolts or hangers. Heavier objects can be hung from screws attached directly into the studs, which can easily be found with a magnet.
Does the steel frame interfere with radio, mobile phone or TV signals?
- No. Waves pass through the spaces between studs allowing the use of all of the radios, phones, and television sets in your home.
Can my house still be energy efficient?
- Yes. Steel framing can be designed to meet or exceed governmental energy efficiency standards. In addition, by staying straight and true, the steel framing helps prevents cracks due to shrinking or warping, thus preventing air leaks that result in costly loss of energy.
Will my home maintain its resale value?
- Your home does not need to look any different than your neighbours and should sell just as easily. Because of steel's high strength and durability, your house should last and retain its value for a long time. In fact, if you take advantage of steel's strength and flexibility by designing wide open spaces, you will have additional selling feature.